Monday, July 30, 2012

SaVe me!!!

Well, it has really been busy around here, what with being on the Olympic sewing team and all. 
I’m also participating in a scrap block swap hosted by Katy  at

It is called “Scrap Vomit”, “SV” for short.  All I have to do is make 4 blocks, consisting
 forty-nine two and a half inch squares, and mail one to each of four people.  One of them is Katy, herself.  Talk about pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 Katy’s description of scrap vomit is  "like the most disgusting mess of fabrics chucked up on a table. Somehow it looks beautiful put together.”


Is this what she has in mind?
The last time I participated in a quilt thing involving scraps, the 12 year old hosting it
(at a local quilt shop) accused me of not making quilts out of all the scraps I brought in. 
Sew I buy scraps - it’s not against the law.  Just because you buy fabric doesn’t mean you have to make anything with it.  And if you don’t make anything with it, you don’t have scraps. 
Sew there!
But now I am really nervous.  Will I be accused of cheating if the pieces I use for the blocks are from fabric I bought that has just been sitting around waiting for me to use it?
Wow, who signed me up for this?

Will it matter if some of the fabrics are pretty?  Will it matter if some of the fabrics have bugs, and trucks, and cars?  How ‘bout the Eiffel Tower?  Would it be too corny to fussy cut some of the squares?  I found a 2.5”fussy cut ruler the other day I don’t even remember buying.
Well, whatever!
 I am going to use this as an opportunity to organize my fabrics, and perhaps get rid of some I don’t think I’ll use (two so far).  I ordered some cardboard, yesterday, to wrap my fabric around so it will stand up and I can see what I have.  I ordered two hundred.  Sounds like a lot.  Forty nine sounds like a lot, but I cut that many yesterday and it didn’t make a dent. 


Here are some of the 49 fabrics that made the cut.
Let the games begin!


Here's what we have so far.
OK, sew, we have the sewing Olympics, the SV quilt along, I also have to make a block for guild for a “quilts of valor” quilt.  I think I’ll use scraps (ha!) for that.

Then there is the Christmas quilt my Olympic teammate, Paula, and I are making.  The big girl bed quilt.  I won’t even talk about my UFO’s, but I think I will finish them after the holidays (is it too soon to say “after the holidays?”)
I think I need an intervention.

No comments: