Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I want to keep this for myself

Well,
I was going through extreme withdrawal 
from sewing.  After spending two days of craft showing and then
a MAJOR clean up of 
the studio after weeks of crafting, I had a 
pincushion to make.

I joined a pincushion swap a 
while back, never dreaming I would not be able to decide
what to make.  The deadline for mailing
is tomorrow, and it is all wrapped and ready to go.


It is actually a little sewing kit and this is what it 
looks like rolled up.  the pincushion
is inside.


this is what the outside looks like unrolled.
(Yes, it is the elephant fabric in a different color, but not
nearly as much of it. )



a closer look at it rolled up, tied with twill tape.




the hexies are the first ones I've made.  It is 
a technique called "english paper piecing".
I pieced three together, appliqued them to the 
front, then quilted around them with a hand dyed purl cotton.


I added one to the pincushion.  this is the inside.  the top and 
bottom pieces are pockets.  I
intended to put something in them
for the photos.  You can't tell,
but the bottom pocket is 
divided into three sections.

(the pig and the snail in front of the 
teacup were gifts and are two of my sewing mascots)

the only rule for the swap was to 
use green, blue and orange with
the addition of brown or black so 
I took that to mean linen, since linen is
the new black.


none of the fabric was bought
for this particular project and I
love the way it turned out.

Wish you didn't have to go,no, no, no, no.

No comments: